Video games have become increasingly popular over the recent past. They offer an opportunity for all to learn new things and relax in the comfort of their own homes. Today, the industry has introduced amazing technologies and new products including gaming units, from the most prominent companies like Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft, simulators for NASCAR racing, and even the most comfortable gaming chairs.
All these products add up to billions of dollars in sales. The initial purchase of video games is indeed the start of a long journey to gaming monetization. With that, the industry has continued to attract more fans and generate more revenue.
It is doubtless that as the full range of video game options keeps growing the returns generated will follow suit. As technology increases the sales and usage of gaming products, video content, video game tournaments, and exclusive gaming events are also growing exponentially.
Such trends play a significant role in enhancing revenue growth. What’s more, investors in the industry have an opportunity to enjoy valuable earnings through various activities and not just through the release of new games.
Research by gaming experts reveal that gamers all across the globe are likely to spend up to $138 billion by the end of 2018. This estimate is based on factors including;
- Mobile gaming
- Rising sales of new games and new versions of existing games
- Attendance at shows such as E3
- Sales and use of gaming consoles
- New video gaming trends
It is also noteworthy that e-sports; has become highly competitive with many gaming tournaments attracting gamers from all over the globe. As a result, revenue is generated through e-sports itself, where the prize money awarded has skyrocketed, and in many parts of the world, it has lead to the growth in the tourism industry as well.
Gaming experts also predict that video gaming trends will continue to increase. More and more gamers are getting hooked to a wide array of games. Video games are no longer just something to keep the kids amused but now attract a much wider audience across many demographics, including women and men, younger and older generations, etc.
Apart from a growing number of video game lovers, the companies producing the games have also heightened their game. For example, Take-Two Interactive has grown, and its latest quarterly returns have risen to 10.71%. Similarly, private game developers including Epic game developer has also generated amazing revenues in the past years. The trend is always increasing owing to the sale of gaming costumes, the sale of gaming consoles, gaming features, and the availability of games for download and online play against other gamers, with games such as Fortnite
Video Gaming Trends That Have Contributed to Continued Revenue Growth
- The significant increase in the number of gamers from all age groups and genders have contributed to new video games being developed across different parts of the world as well as console specific games, and they are becoming more and more popular with players. Some of the most popular games include PC gaming and console gaming.
- Mobile gaming has become the trend of the day because almost everyone today owns a mobile phone, and revenues from Smartphone gaming and tablet gaming also cannot be overlooked. These are platforms that are being efficiently used by all gamers. They are great for gaming because most devices come with installed games. Some of the games can also be played live online as long you have access to the internet.
- Children’s video games are also laden with exciting features, and they generate a lot of revenue. Kids can play games online, and there are too, many parents who purchase gaming consoles and video games for use at home. Kids in the US, UK, China, Australia, and other developed nations prefer praying games on consoles or mobile devices.
- Easy accessibility of internet services has also led to a growth in the video gaming industry and increased revenues. Gamers can easily subscribe to gaming services and platforms. The number of subscribers is always growing hence, continued revenue growth.
- The gaming video content has become so realistic that it can seem as though everything is happening in real life. That coupled with the lowering cost for Virtual Reality systems is also an essential factor in the industry as it generates revenue through streams and tipping instances.
- E-sports, on the other hand, attracts amazing prices worth millions of dollars through betting and e-sports events. Asia, for instance, generates the highest e-sport revenue. In 2017, it produced 36 percent of the revenue shares and by the end of 2018; the percentage is expected to increase.
Similarly, video game monetization has led to an increased number of video game fans who pre-order video games, purchase and make payments through traditional means such as credit cards, debit cards, PayPal, Bitcoin, and other cryptocurrencies. Such trends make gaming more exciting, and it generates more real revenue year after year.
With all the buzz around VR and Video gaming, it is a pretty safe bet to place a portion of your portfolio into this area of significant growth.