As it’s first CES 2021 address, Panasonic announced a new Augmented Reality (AR) vehicle HUD that could improve driver safety for years to come.
Panasonic utilizes its latest advances in optics, volume optimization and imaging technology, combined with AI technology from its SPYDR cockpit domain controller to render near-field and far-field content for vehicle information (like speed), object and pedestrian detection, and mapping / route guidance, for a seamless, more engaged and informed driver experience.
“The HUD market is one of the fastest growing categories in mobility, but traditional HUDs only cover a small section of the road,” said Scott Kirchner, president Panasonic Automotive and executive director, Panasonic Smart Mobility. “Panasonic’s AR HUD solutions cover more of the roadway, with traditional cluster content like speed and fuel in the near field as well as 3D overlays in the far field, showing navigation and other critical driver data mapping spatially to the road ahead. And in a future with more self-driving vehicles, our AR HUD could provide an important added level of comfort and assurance for AV passengers as well.”
Panasonic’s Augmented Reality HUD system projects 3D, AI-driven key information into the driver’s line of sight to help reduce driver distraction and potentially increase safety on the road.
Panasonic’s AR HUD development utilizes a PRIZM process to address all aspects of users’ needs today, tomorrow and in the future:
- Precise placement – Optimal image positioning
- Reflection – AI smart optical graphic road overlays for object / sign detection
- Intuitive – Discriminates / prioritizes user focus on what is ahead, e.g. is that a deer or a box in the road?
- Zonal- UX optimized field-of-view organizationally displays objects along the road
- Mission Control – Dynamic imaging that brings visibility and the roadway together
The key features of the new AR HUD include:
- Eye tracking technology – Projects information at driver’s level of sight based on driver’s eye position, eliminating a potential mismatch between the projected image when the driver moves their head
- Advanced optics – Advanced optical design techniques provide expanded field-of-view (beyond 10 by 4 degrees) for virtual image distance of 10m or greater; detects pedestrians and objects through enhanced low light and nighttime view; tilted virtual image planes adjust visibility of objects in the driver’s field of view; embedded camera system allows discrete monitoring for the driver’s eye location.
- AI navigation accuracy – AI-driven AR navigation technology detects and provides multi-color 3D navigation graphics that adjust with moving vehicle’s surroundings, displaying information like lane markers and GPS arrows where turns will occur and sudden changes such as collisions or cyclists in one’s path
- Vibration control – Panasonic’s proprietary camera image stability algorithm enables AR icons to lock onto the driving environment regardless of the bumpiness of the road
- Real-time situational awareness – Driving environment updates occur in real-time; ADAS, AI, AR environment information updates in less than 300 milliseconds
- 3D imaging radar – Sensor-captured full 180-degree forward vision up to 90 meters and across approximately three traffic lanes
- Compact size – Efficient compact packaging to fit any vehicle configuration
- 4K resolution – Crisp, bright 4K resolution using advanced laser and holography technology, with static near-field cluster information and far-field image plane for AR graphic overlay
Panasonic’s strategic collaborations with emerging tech innovators provide added depth and breadth to the data-driven visuals in Panasonic’s Augmented Reality HUD: striking, dual plane, high-resolution laser holography is by Envisics, developers of a patent-protected, dynamic holographic platform that enables true holography across multiple mobility applications; and the 3D localization technology and AI navigation and situation awareness analytics is from Phiar, developers of a patent-protected spatial-AI, AR navigation platform.