Are you a startup working on new materials or ingredients for low-carbon concrete? The Global Cement and Concrete Association seeks your innovative solution to help decarbonize a vital global industry.
Concrete is the most used man-made substance on earth. The Global Cement and Concrete Association (GCCA) and its members are fully committed to reducing and ultimately eliminating industry CO2 emissions through implementation of our Concrete Future 2050 Net Zero Roadmap.
With the launch of the GCCA Innovandi Open Challenge 2023, we seek to fast-track the development and adoption of technologies that support the transition towards a net zero future. The focus of the Challenge is low-carbon concrete.
Selected startups will benefit from:
- Support to move from ideas to pilot tests, proof of concepts, prototypes, and business cases.
- Extensive access to plants, labs, and research facilities.
- Expertise and infrastructure of 40 members worldwide to showcase innovation.
- Guidance from the GCCA and its industrial members of nominated lead experts to help the startups progress in the industrialization of their technology.
- Development of new technologies and / or help to define new business cases with one or several industrial members.
- Help from the GCCA and its members to manage the project with each selected startup, as well as resources, support, and coaching to co-develop the business.
- High visibility in the cement and concrete sector, as well as equipment manufacturers, broader value chain players, investors, and wider stakeholders.
Launch of the GCCA Innovandi Open Challenge 2023, follows success of last year’s first-ever Innovandi Open Challenge, which has seen cement companies partnering with six startups, mainly focusing on carbon capture and utilization projects. Three of those projects have already gone to the pilot stage.
Claude Loréa, GCCA Cement, Innovation and ESG Director says:
“We’ve already seen some remarkable progress from those startups who’ve been working with our members on the first Innovandi Open Challenge, with several projects already in the pilot stage. This year’s theme, low-carbon concrete, is equally challenging. To succeed, we need products which are affordable, scalable, and easily adopted. Good luck to all this year’s applicants. We look forward to working with those selected.”
Are You a Good Fit to Apply for The GCCA Open Innovation Challenge?
The GCCA is looking for startups working on new materials or ingredients for low-carbon concrete. This includes innovative admixtures, SCMs, clinkers, aggregates, etc. It should be ready-to-use and a direct ingredient to concrete. Other judging criteria are as follows:
How Innovative and unique is the solution?
- Performance comparable to traditional concrete
- Lower carbon footprint than traditional concrete
- Environmental / sustainability assessment
The technology to produce Low Carbon Concrete:
- How water intensive is it?
- How energy intensive is it?
- Any waste heat utilization requirement?
- Any other prerequisites for the process?
Please note, the GCCA is NOT looking for:
- Alternate fuels or low-carbon fuels
- Carbon capture, utilization, and storage technologies
- Process or method for producing low-carbon concrete
More details and information on how to apply is available here:
The deadline for applications is 15th May 2023.